Are you an immersive media artist or creative technologist based in Africa? Do you have a concept or project that utilises real-time 3D (RT3D) or Extended Reality (XR) technology in a creative and impactful way?
Electric South invites emerging as well as accomplished African XR creators to apply for a new XR Social Impact Grant.
The aim of the grant is to give African creators access to skills, expertise, tools and networks to create a prototype or proof of concept using RT3D/XR technology, or to help finish an already existing project.
WHAT WILL THE GRANT ENTAIL?
Seven extended reality projects (augmented or virtual reality) will be selected to receive $5,000 USD each in grant funds to develop their proof of concepts, or to complete projects already in progress. Artists will retain full ownership of all work that is produced.
In addition, creators will participate in a few group sessions with experts, and will receive one-on-one technical support from specialists and advisors. All sessions will take place online in October and November, 2022.
DATES & DEADLINES
The last day to submit your application is Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 by 23h59 SAST. All successful applicants will be notified by Friday, 16 September, 2022.
The online programme will run from 1 October — 25 November, 2022. Final prototypes or projects will be due by 25 November, 2022.
- Be citizens of an African country and based in Africa for the majority of the time (at least 6 months/year). We welcome participants from across the African continent, and encourage applicants from identities that have been historically under supported or underrepresented within the fields of art and technology to apply, including those who are disabled, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and others.
- Either well versed in a game engine (Unity or Unreal etc.) or technically proficient in similar real-time content creation, 3D modelling or animation software (for example Blender, Maya or Autodesk 3DS Max).
- Utilise RT3D/XR technology in a meaningful and impactful way.
- Be narrative or non-fiction, but all projects must be impact driven with measurable impact goals, calls to action and/or encompass themes of freedom of expression, social, healthcare, education, humanitarian, or environmental issues.
- Examples of previous Electric South work with an impact lens include (please note that these examples are to demonstrate impact and not VR format as most of them are 360 films):
Who Should Apply?
We are looking for immersive media artists, creative technologists and developers who have some experience using RT3D/XR and who have an existing project or concept that utilises the medium in some way. Creators should be changemakers in their fields with a keen focus on social impact-driven stories.
Existing projects which are near completion and could use grant funds and access to experts to get over the finish line, are welcome to apply. In addition, artists with concepts who are looking to build a prototype/proof of concept are also welcome to apply. Proof of concepts, prototypes or projects must use RT3D/XR in a meaningful and impactful way.
What happens after the grant?
Electric South offers a menu of support for our alumni, which may include production support, creative and technical consultation, mentorship, industry networking, equipment loans, distribution, and more. Past artists have gone on to produce immersive work, and many continue to explore emerging and immersive media in their current practice.